Saturday, April 12, 2014

Doris Brown

  1. What's your name and are you named after anyone? Do you know how you got your name?  Doris Miriam. My mom just liked the name Doris and my dad gave me the middle name Miriam from the Bible.
  2. Tell us who makes up your family (people and pets).  Myself, my husband, John, my son, Steven, my mom, Ann Fidler, and the family dog, Noelle (a greyhound).
  3. Have you always lived in PA? If not, where else have you lived and when did you live there?Yes, always lived in PA.
  4. Do you speak any languages other than English?  No. Studied Spanish in high school, but that's about it.
  5. What are you most proud of?  Right now I'm most proud of our son, Steven, and his struggles to live a good life with high-functioning autism and Type I Diabetes. He is just starting his first paid job at the age of 24.
  6. How do you spend your days?   I'm a legal assistant at an intellectual property law firm and also proofread deposition transcripts as a second job, aside from church activities.
  7. What's your dream job and are you doing it now?  It would be a job where I'm helping people every day, and, no, I'm not doing it now.
  8. What's the best gift you've ever given?  Surprising my husband on his 50th birthday with a party at a Phillies game and a visit from his niece.
  9. What's the best gift you've ever received?  That would have to be our son, Steven
  10. What is/was your favorite subject or activity in school?  That's easy — choir!
  11. What ability or skill do you most wish you had (that you don't have already)?  Being comfortable expressing myself in public (speaking, singing, etc.).
  12. If you had to pick one hero, who would it be?  My dad.
  13. What does it mean to have courage?  To do the right thing, no matter what others think.
  14. What is your biggest fear or worry?  That my son will able to look after himself and have a good life when we are not here.
  15. What's the biggest problem facing the world right now? Lack of compassion/acceptance for those who are different from us.
  16. What are some of your hobbies?  Choristers, reading, crocheting/knitting.
  17. What's the best meal you've ever had?  Can't say — it's more about the people you're with, I think.
  18. Describe your favorite vacation.  The years my husband, son and I would go to the Poconos for a week in the summer.
  19. What bad habit would you be willing to give up if it guaranteed you would live to be is? Procrastinating...
  20. What would your obituary say? Hopefully, that I was a blessing to my family, friends and faith community.
  21. If you lived in the pioneer days, would you have traveled west or stayed put in the east? Probably stayed put, not a big adventure person (except for when I went to Africa with Pastor Lawlor).
  22. What do you like most about UDLC?  People coming together to serve local, national and international communities; sharing cares and celebrations and supporting one another in prayer.
  23. When did you join UDLC and what is the biggest change you have seen? My family and I joined in 2010. I guess it would be the pastoral change and the building expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment